2008년 2월 12일 화요일

A Girl
Ezra Pound

The tree has entered my hands,
The sap has ascended my arms,
The tree has grown in my breast-
Downward,
The branches grow out of me, like arms.
Tree you are,
Moss you are,
You are violets with wind above them.
A child - so high - you are,
And all this is folly to the world.


The title of this poem, ‘A girl’, caught my eyes. When I first read it I couldn’t understand it easily. I think the tree is a metaphor of a child who is growing. The author describes how a tree grows as how a child grows.
I don’t understand the last part. ‘And all this is folly to the world’. Is the author criticizing the world? Why the violets and moss randomly came out? Why the title is A Girl? Can’t it be a boy?

댓글 1개:

Herim Shin :

Andrea~I enjoyed reading the poem that you picked. This poem is quite confusing for me too. But I can tell that there are lots of implied meanings. It is just my thought and I think that the last line "And all this is folly to the world" means the author is criticizing the world. You picked a nice poem and I enjoyed it! :)